The Diesel Stop banner
121 - 140 of 153 Posts

· Registered
726 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
The 6.2s with 4.30 gears have worked well for me. I don't tow often but when I do its usually a 7k enclosed trailer or 14 to 15k with gooseneck trailers and I don't have many big hills to climb or speed records to break . If I had a choice when ordering between a v10 and a 6.2 I'd go with the 6.2 with out hesitation .

· Registered
187 Posts
Came on the forum hoping to find just this thread.

I have a 02 7.3 hand shaker dually CC. It has been a great truck, but more truck than I need anymore. Difficult in drive-thrus, banks and can't use an automatic car wash. I pull a 24' tag car hauler grossing right at 10K. Still have the trailer, but will pull it 3-4 times a year at most for up to 1,000 miles. Back in 02, you had to get a lot of truck. Now, they have made great improvements in chassis and powertrains.

Drove a 6.2 over the weekend. I was impressed, but it did lack the torque of my 7.3. Still, I could tell it will get the job done. Biggest issue I can't get past is the damn cost of the diesel up front, DEF, higher fuel price, filters, oil changes. That is a lot of $$$ for a diesel to tow "faster". Thus, I am leaning towards a gasser.

I appreciate the comment for the 4.30 gears.

Hell, when I got my diesel it was cheaper at the pump than gas.

Guess I am ranting now, but change is in the air. With the new aluminum body coming I will be looking pretty hard this next year.

Tom

8,791 Posts
Have a customer just pick up a 6.2 350. He had a F450 cc 4x2 masonry bed 6.0. One repair after another. DOT snagged him a couple times for stupid stuff and kept him on side of road for hours. He got a little uppity which sealed his fate. They started pulling him over every single time they would see him even though he was good last time and nothing currently wrong. He tried selling it and nobody wanted it. He parked it( so the turbo vanes could properly stick) and bought a 350 6.2 and a dump trailer. He is happy he free from a lot of headache.
Have another guy who has a 6.2 stake body for the farm and is happy with it.
I have never worked on a 6.2 so,,,, Do your due dillegence as any other product. I would be digging around for lots of info on it.

· Registered
19 Posts
I'm getting close to 30,000 miles on my 6.2L F250 and I'm still happy with it. There have been a few times I wondered if the 430s would have been better. Since then I've down sized all my trailers, I rarely tow more than 7,000 lbs, the 6.2L and 373 is a good combo. I think if I was towing 10,000 lbs the 430 would be nicer. The 6.2L will develop a good following. It has good power, low maintenance costs and is trouble free.

· Registered
598 Posts
OK - Let's do the math as you say.
36,000 miles / 25 MPG = 1440 gallons of diesel x $3.90 = $5,616 diesel cost.
36,000 miles / 15 MPG = 2400 gallons of gas x $3.40 = $8,160 gas cost.
So you will save $2,544 at the pump from having a diesel engine and pay $8,000 more at the dealer to get it.
For the diesel to pay for itself as you say then you have to keep it way beyond "warranty".
A $500K house sells five years later for more than a $100K house sells for five years later.

A diesel truck sells for more than a gasser five years later. And the used diesel sells faster. I've seen used gasser Super Duty trucks languish for a long time until the price is reduced substantially before they will sell. Gas engines wear out much sooner than a diesel engine and buyers know that.

However, I would buy a gasser if they had a decent engine - like the rumored 5.0 EcoBeast - and I'd forgo the diesel regen/def issues and the extra weight associated with the diesel engine and the diesel exhaust.

· Registered
149 Posts
A $500K house sells five years later for more than a $100K house sells for five years later.

A diesel truck sells for more than a gasser five years later. And the used diesel sells faster. I've seen used gasser Super Duty trucks languish for a long time until the price is reduced substantially before they will sell. Gas engines wear out much sooner than a diesel engine and buyers know that.

However, I would buy a gasser if they had a decent engine - like the rumored 5.0 EcoBeast - and I'd forgo the diesel regen/def issues and the extra weight associated with the diesel engine and the diesel exhaust.
I have the 2015 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8 FFL with the Trailer package. When i move back to the mainland at retirement. I will get the Diesel F350 So i can add a camper for camping. But with the rumored 5.0 EcoBeast coming. I too may look into it.

· Registered
348 Posts
OK - Let's do the math as you say.
36,000 miles / 25 MPG = 1440 gallons of diesel x $3.90 = $5,616 diesel cost.
36,000 miles / 15 MPG = 2400 gallons of gas x $3.40 = $8,160 gas cost.
So you will save $2,544 at the pump from having a diesel engine and pay $8,000 more at the dealer to get it.
For the diesel to pay for itself as you say then you have to keep it way beyond "warranty".
Not if you purchase it at the end of the model year. I bought my 2015 PSD last September and the sticker was discounted $10,000 before the deal even started and so the cost of the diesel was $0. At the time, I paid less for my F-250 Platinum than I would have for a comparable F-150 Platinum (not by much, but it was still less).

· Registered
30 Posts

Coming up two years and love the Ford with the gas engine. I like the truck in the hills and windy conditions. My other truck is a 2004.5 Dodge with the Cummins H.O. diesel. That year diesel has a lot less engine codes to pop up than any of the new diesels,

Attachments

· Registered
846 Posts
I really like mine, wish I had the 4:30 axle. But Its been a great truck. Ive been thinking hard about ordering a DRW regular cab 4X4 with 4:30 to replace my 2002 F350

· Registered
180 Posts
You guys really crack me up trying to justify how a Diesel is cheaper. I posted that almost three years ago! Only way it is better is if you keep it to 150K miles or more. Then you get a better return than the gas.
I sold my 2011 6.2 with 166K miles for $18.2 and the dealer sold it in one week for $26K. I bought it for $49K and had no issues. I drive a 2016 6.2 now and love it.
Bottom line, if you need a diesel for towing, get it. If you don't, then get the gas. So many of you try to justify your EGO in getting a diesel saying its a better deal. I'd rather you just say I spent more money because I work hard and wanted a diesel and I enjoy driving it. Stop trying to justify to others that it makes financial sense if you don't tow a lot or plan to keep it many years.

· Registered
149 Posts
You guys really crack me up trying to justify how a Diesel is cheaper. I posted that almost three years ago! Only way it is better is if you keep it to 150K miles or more. Then you get a better return than the gas.
I sold my 2011 6.2 with 166K miles for $18.2 and the dealer sold it in one week for $26K. I bought it for $49K and had no issues. I drive a 2016 6.2 now and love it.
Bottom line, if you need a diesel for towing, get it. If you don't, then get the gas. So many of you try to justify your EGO in getting a diesel saying its a better deal. I'd rather you just say I spent more money because I work hard and wanted a diesel and I enjoy driving it. Stop trying to justify to others that it makes financial sense if you don't tow a lot or plan to keep it many years.
That s a good point Sloo.

· Registered
348 Posts
It depends on the initial cost of the truck. At the time when I bought mine, with a 10K discount off the sticker, there was no way it made sense to buy a gasser (at least to me). In addition, it also depends what you plan to do with the truck. If 90% of your driving is short tripping, a diesel is not for you. If you do not wish to deal with maintenance, a diesel is not for you. If you expect a diesel to behave the same as a gasser, a diesel is not for you. After 1 year of owning my PSD, there is still no way I would have bought the gasser. YMMV, of course.

· Registered
24 Posts

True dat !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
846 Posts
Ive pulled my 5th wheel with my 6.2 and I was very pleased with how it did.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning to get a new (to me) truck in the next year. Right now, I am definitely leaning toward a gasser, either a 3V 6.8 or a 6.2 if the costs align. I do more people hauling than trailer towing, but I do want to get a travel trailer and possibly a sled trailer in the next couple of years (kids will be old enough to go snowmobiling with me). I have a 40 mile one-way commute to work, but the upfront cost of the diesel, the added per gallon cost, the additional maintenance, and (this is the big one) the odds of a five-figure repair bill just scares the hell out of me.

If cost were no object, sure, I'd like the truck with enough torque to change the rotation of the earth - who wouldn't? As it stands, I don't have the "tow heavy, all the time" needs for 6.7 and the risks are just too much for me. Now, if my numbers hit, I'll take my F-450 KR in blue, please...

Merry Christmas, all!

· Registered
846 Posts
I like mine. I towed our camper to Branson over Thanksgiving and I was shocked at how well it did

121 - 140 of 153 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.