The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me: 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (5.7 LS1 V8, Tremec T-56 (Manual) Transmission, Ram-Air, Induction System, WS6 Performance-and-Handling Package, 63k Miles)

Him: 2008 Ford F-350 Super Duty XL (6.4 Power Stroke V8, ZF6 (Manual) Transmission, 4x4 with Manual-Transfer Case and Manual-Locking Hubs, XL Trim with Vinyl Flooring, Vinyl, Bench Seats, Manually-Cranked Windows, and Manual Locks, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Single-Rear Wheels, 228k Miles, $14k of Documented Engine and Body Work) + $1,500 Cash

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
No, I wouldn't do it. Too many miles for a 6.4L.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
The $14k of engine and body work doesn't mean it's worth anything extra, IMO. It's newer than your TransAm, but I'd be leery as Don said.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
NO
DENNY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you thinking? Keep the T/A dude
The Trans Am sits in my garage except for fairweather Sundays, and I have always wanted to own a tuned 6.4 Power Stroke mated to a Z-F6 in spite of the engine's inherent shortcomings. What is difficult to reconcile, however, is the man's $14k asking price relative to the truck's age and accrued mileage; whether one checks KBB, NADA, or Edmunds, all of the web sites state that the truck is worth $7,400-9,200 approximately, and I know the difference in price is an attempt to recoup some of the time and money invested into the truck. In my mind, I want the 6.4, albeit to yield my Trans Am in order to do so seems like a bad deal, knowing I could receive a greater return by selling the Trans Am outright for cash.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Me: 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (5.7 LS1 V8, Tremec T-56 (Manual) Transmission, Ram-Air, Induction System, WS6 Performance-and-Handling Package, 63k Miles)

Him: 2008 Ford F-350 Super Duty XL (6.4 Power Stroke V8, ZF6 (Manual) Transmission, 4x4 with Manual-Transfer Case and Manual-Locking Hubs, XL Trim with Vinyl Flooring, Vinyl, Bench Seats, Manually-Cranked Windows, and Manual Locks, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Single-Rear Wheels, 228k Miles, $14k of Documented Engine and Body Work) + $1,500 Cash
Well, I guess it depends on the depth of your pockets? That's a lot of miles for a 6.4 so plan on spending $$$. Do you have access to a shop with a lift so you can pull the cab? Do you have the ability to do the work yourself or have a buddy who does? Its no a matter of if the 6.4 will give you trouble, its a matter of when. With that mileage, the 'when' is soon.

·
Registered
898 Posts

No definitely not for a 6.4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too many miles and most likely will need a bottom end soon.
Hypothetically, seeing the mileage and knowing the eventual overhaul will entail a valve train and pistons, what would you approximate the value of the truck to be?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts