The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a dumb question.. Had a previous thread for a similar issue trying to narrow it down farther..

Engine ran a little rough at idle more so than usual but didn't lose power nor did it overheat. I added coolant which was just a green 50/50 mixture nothing fancy (yes I'm a car newb) and I don't know almost anything about Diesels.. I'm now having white smoke at idle but no other issues at all, I don't see any leaks from the truck anywhere for coolant nor is it puking out of degas bottle but the coolant is draining out somewhere even when it's not under pressure truck has been sitting off for a week now and the coolant has well.. vanished.. Is any of this due to possibly adding a wrong type of coolant to the engine? help.. :| Newb problems.

·
Premium Member
15,107 Posts
No, the new coolant didn't cause the issue. The reason you had to add coolant to begin with is your likely issue. Probably a ruptured EGR cooler. Pull your EGR valve to check for moisture. When you get it fixed, drain and flush and refill with an extended life coolant.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Coolant doesn't vanish, it goes into one or more cylinders past a blown head gasket and gets burned off creating steam, which is likely the white smoke you're seeing. Try smelling it. I bet it doesn't smell like Diesel, but kind of sickly sweet like coolant. I'm betting on a blown HG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I smelled it and it definitely doesn't smell sweet at all kinda burns your eyes lol

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
That's a rich fuel mixture. If that's the case I'd suspect a bad injector. Get a contribution test run. If it has over 100k on it I'd give serious thought to replacing all the injectors on the bank with the bad one, if not all of them. Injector life expectancy is typically 100-150k.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Here's a dumb question.. Had a previous thread for a similar issue trying to narrow it down farther..

Engine ran a little rough at idle more so than usual but didn't lose power nor did it overheat. I added coolant which was just a green 50/50 mixture nothing fancy (yes I'm a car newb) and I don't know almost anything about Diesels.. I'm now having white smoke at idle but no other issues at all, I don't see any leaks from the truck anywhere for coolant nor is it puking out of degas bottle but the coolant is draining out somewhere even when it's not under pressure truck has been sitting off for a week now and the coolant has well.. vanished.. Is any of this due to possibly adding a wrong type of coolant to the engine? help.. :| Newb problems.
I doubt that any of this applies to your case, but, here goes:

It sounds like you have ethylene glycol based antifreeze in your truck, which, some older models have. I don't know if it contains silicates, but, I can tell you that the original Ford Gold coolant did. It passes through the egr cooler and forms a sludge. This "sludge" becomes super-heated and causes the cooler to rupture. Use of a coolant filter and extended life coolant is supposed to remedy this. (It has for me!) They always tell me at the dealership I have the wrong coolant; I tell them to fly a kite. This is just what I have read on here and my 2 cents. As far as what you did, I know that ethylene glycol isn't compatible with other coolants, to my knowledge. I'd say they are steering you in the right direction. Good luck with diagnosing your problem. Craig.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Service Department Manager: "You have the wrong coolant in your truck."

Me: "No, Ford put the wrong coolant in my truck at the factory, and you idiots have just gone along with it."

In reality, the Ford coolant is terrible and not suited to a Diesel application. Diesel coolant must remain stable while coping with a lot more heat than coolant in a gas engine. The Ford gold coolant simply can't do this. It precipitates a lot of silicates as it ages and oxidizes. This on its own is bad, but due to the complex nature of the 6.0 engine castings there is still a fair amount of casting sand in the water jacket. When the silicates combine with the casting sand it forms a gooey paste that loves to clog oil cooler and EGR coolers, and the 6.0 cascade failure begins. It ends with a blown head gasket.

I can't say that a coolant filter and changing the coolant to a true Diesel coolant will eliminate the possibility of a HG failure, but it certainly helps. IH designed the 6.0 with a coolant filter. Ford chose to eliminate it to save a couple bucks per truck.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Service Department Manager: "You have the wrong coolant in your truck."

Me: "No, Ford put the wrong coolant in my truck at the factory, and you idiots have just gone along with it."

In reality, the Ford coolant is terrible and not suited to a Diesel application. Diesel coolant must remain stable while coping with a lot more heat than coolant in a gas engine. The Ford gold coolant simply can't do this. It precipitates a lot of silicates as it ages and oxidizes. This on its own is bad, but due to the complex nature of the 6.0 engine castings there is still a fair amount of casting sand in the water jacket. When the silicates combine with the casting sand it forms a gooey paste that loves to clog oil cooler and EGR coolers, and the 6.0 cascade failure begins. It ends with a blown head gasket.

I can't say that a coolant filter and changing the coolant to a true Diesel coolant will eliminate the possibility of a HG failure, but it certainly helps. IH designed the 6.0 with a coolant filter. Ford chose to eliminate it to save a couple bucks per truck.
You were probably the ones that told me this. I took the truck in for an EGR cooler replacement and the dealership told me the wrong coolant was in the truck and they replaced the cooler and the coolant. They said the coolant they put in was the "new and improved". Is it? I drained it out again and replaced it with Rotella ELC.

I apologize for hijacking the original posters post. Craig.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I doubt that any of this applies to your case, but, here goes:

It sounds like you have ethylene glycol based antifreeze in your truck, which, some older models have. I don't know if it contains silicates, but, I can tell you that the original Ford Gold coolant did. It passes through the egr cooler and forms a sludge. This "sludge" becomes super-heated and causes the cooler to rupture. Use of a coolant filter and extended life coolant is supposed to remedy this. (It has for me!) They always tell me at the dealership I have the wrong coolant; I tell them to fly a kite. This is just what I have read on here and my 2 cents. As far as what you did, I know that ethylene glycol isn't compatible with other coolants, to my knowledge. I'd say they are steering you in the right direction. Good luck with diagnosing your problem. Craig.
All of the 6.0L engines should be running ethylene glycol coolant.

The Ford Gold is ethylene glycol and so are the EC1 ELC coolants.

The "propylene glycol" myth began with powerstrokehelp.com videos - lol.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, no. The Ford gold coolant is the same coolant they've been using forever.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

The gold coolant is still the proper coolant for a 6.0L. The problem with the coolant is lack of proper maintenance. The reason Ford specifies one coolant and warns against the use of "something else" is compatibility with the materials used in the engine and the cooling system. This is why Ford Motor Company has never recommended changing to any other coolant type. Green glycol coolant is the same as the Gold premium coolant with the exception of the additive package and can be used in an emergency.

I agree that since you had to add coolant a failure already existed and you more than likely have a failed EGR cooler. The recommendation to remove the EGR valve and inspect for moisture is a quick and easy way to determine if the cooler has failed. It is also very common for EGR cooler cooler failures to affect the EGR valve's performance commonly causing them to stick open or not fully seat. This might explain your rough idle and strong exhaust odor AND you are most likely burning coolant... the Ford gold and modern green coolants will not smell sweet.

If the cooler is leaking it is not really being burned in the engine. The cooler will leak when the engine is shut down and drain down into the right side turbo inlet pipe. when the engine is started it is blown into the turbo and out into the exhaust where it will pool and burn off when the exhaust gets how. There are other nuances to this with respect to where the coolant can end up but most commonly the scenario I described is the case. Some coolant will pass through the EGR but typically very little and mostly as vapor when the engine is running.

Bottom line is, you did not CAUSE any problem by adding coolant in the is scenario. For the record, you could use green coolant but it requires adding the diesel coolant additive (DCA) which is sold by Motorcraft and is part of the gold coolant maintenance program anyway. The damage caused by the wrong additive package is a long-term affect, not immediate.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
KSX - From other posts of yours, I assume you have an 03 truck? If so, the chances are decent that your EGR cooler may be fine (the early model year coolers are strong). Inspect the engine's coolant circulation system carefully for any external leaks to eliminate that possibility. You can pressure up the degas system (15 psi and see if leaks are evident or if the pressure drops).

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...50-6-0l-problems-need-help-525809/index2.html

Based on your description of the EGR valve in the above thread, it doesn't sound like you have coolant under the valve to me.

Are you experiencing slow cranks when you start your truck?

If you are sure that there are no external coolant leaks, then I would monitor the pressure in the degas bottle while driving the truck and getting everything up to temperature (you can tee in a hose and a pressure gauge easily). Measure the pressure at some WOT operation also. Do you track your fuel economy? How about monitoring your fuel pressure?

Choose and use the proper coolant. Mixing coolants may not cause immediate issues, but why introduce the possibility of long-term issues? There is no denying that diesel rated ELC coolant has a better track record for holding up than the Ford Gold. The proper ELC coolant has not had the issues with gelling and solids precipitation that the Gold has had (even though there have been a few posted experiences of it gelling, it has a great performance history).

That being said, there are still lots of people with 200k+ miles on their engines still using the Ford Gold, but it does take more maintenance and it does not hold up to heat or contaminations as well as the ELC coolant.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
According to Ford the gold coolant is the right coolant. I'd like to hear IH's take on it, since they designed the engine.

Sure, plenty of people have gone a long ways with the gold coolant, and you can use it, but I wouldn't. To me this falls in the same category as guys who want to run synthetic and stretch out their oil change intervals without doing OA. To me, fluids are cheap, engines are expensive. When there are known and reported issues with the gold coolant, why take the chance?

Still, any coolant you use be sure to get a filter in place. The coolant itself is only half the battle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts