The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the Diesel secret .com formula to blend uvo. Even thinned on the thin side. Good oil source, extreame filtering,no clogged filters etc. Ran great one tank,then in shop for repair on high pressure valve leak injector pump. second tank ran great for one day then fuel pump failed. Has anyone had any continued sucess burning uvo in a
f250 6.0 powerstroke 2006?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sure, VO burns GREAT - if you have an adequate conversion.:thumbsup: Yeah, its worth it. Shortcuts are costly...

How were you dewatering and filtering VO?

What 'blend' were you experimenting with?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Two words: two tank.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've used the Diesel secret .com formula to blend uvo. Even thinned on the thin side. Good oil source, extreame filtering,no clogged filters etc. Ran great one tank,then in shop for repair on high pressure valve leak injector pump. second tank ran great for one day then fuel pump failed. Has anyone had any continued sucess burning uvo in a
Here's another two words you should try doing a search on: Diesel Secret

·
Registered
367 Posts

...Buddy, I run roughly the same DSE blend, using #2 as my thinner @ roughly 20%. I have had MINIMAL issues running this cold blend as Ive stated in other threads on this subject. I have been running a cold blend veggy mix since June of 2006! I began with an 04 F350 SRW 6.0l, ran well in excess of 60,00+ miles on WVO & now an 06 F350Dually. Ive put roughly 35,000+ miles on this 6.0l & only major issue was a lift pump, which was my fault, cause I got lazy & waited too long to change my filters! :nono:

Id have to say it is a coincedence. No way do I believe the WVO cold blend would cause those failures back to back. You are aware the 05 & 06's have high pressure pump o-ring failures from the factory? What were the symptoms that led to the failure of the injector pump?

As to others who responded to original Poster's thread; Not to sound like an azz to anyone, but I call bulls##t to anyone who knocks a cold WVO blend if they hadnt personally experienced mixing & running the same way for themselves! :nono: I know first hand for myself & I could give a rats azz for those have nothing but bad remarks to state for something they never experienced for themselves!

And another thing, hats off to those of you who are going thru all the hoopla of building a reactor, xtra tanks, purchasing EXPENSIVE methanol & lye as well as the handling of these chemicals & properly disposing of them after use; testing washing etc & waiting one to two weeks before you can use your 'biodiesel'. Thank you very much, Ill just keep on making my cold blend WVO as I need it & WHEN I need it. 30-40 minutes, I got my fuel & in my OEM tank & away I go....NOW! :thumbsup:

Again, not intending to bash anyone....You do it YOUR way & Ill continue to use WVO MY way! :respect:

·
Registered
965 Posts
And another thing, hats off to those of you who are going thru all the hoopla of building a reactor, xtra tanks, purchasing EXPENSIVE methanol & lye as well as the handling of these chemicals & properly disposing of them after use; testing washing etc & waiting one to two weeks before you can use your 'biodiesel'. Thank you very much, Ill just keep on making my cold blend WVO as I need it & WHEN I need it. 30-40 minutes, I got my fuel & in my OEM tank & away I go....NOW! :thumbsup:

Again, not intending to bash anyone....You do it YOUR way & Ill continue to use WVO MY way! :respect:
Have you taken a sample of your 'fuel' and watched it, particularly at different temperatures? How about UOA's? (UOA is a cheap insight to engine damage, yer savin' a TON, right?, whats $20?)

What you are doing is risky business and your chances of failure are high. Yes, 60k sounds like a sucess story, but it may well have significantly reduced the overall life of the engine - w/o much indication.

The main problem w/blending is seperation. These liquids all have significantly different specific gravitys - especially RUG!! It has been my experience just blending WVO and #2, that the heavier parts of the VO (fats and PHO) settle out to the bottom.

When this seperation happens, the first drink your truck takes is pure, cold VO. This VO passes the piston rings, 'cause they're not sealed yet, and ends up in the engine oil. The SAME thing is happening w/a blend in solution, btw - just to a lesser extent. The problem is aggraved by poor atomization of the fuel at the injector tip, causing even more incomplete combution, which adds VO to the oil AND increases deposits in the combustion chamber. The more cold starts, the faster you see a problem. Sounds like yer mostly highway driving, likely 100's of miles between stops - this helps explain your sucess.

The problem w/VO in the engine oil is it rapidly polymerizes. Eventually, it turns the entire crankcase into a gelatenous mess, but it does significant damage long before that in the form of seriously decreased lubrication.

I also make biodiesel. 50 gals ready-to-burn every 48hrs. 100% sucess rate for 1000's of gals and using the CRAP VO I don't burn in my truck! I do agree about the chem's though - that is why I chose SVO originally!

You are absolutely right, though brother!! To each his own.:thumbsup: The next beer is on me!! Just do me a favor, if you have a problem - Please come back and share. It is a shame how many people deliver BAD ADVICE on the internet, but are too proud or embarrased to come back and say they made a mistake. It is human nature, after all, they kinda knew they were screwing up/bucking the reality all along...

·
Registered
358 Posts
...the first drink your truck takes is pure, cold VO. This VO passes the piston rings, 'cause they're not sealed yet, and ends up in the engine oil.
Thanks for snapping one more puzzle piece into place as to why we shouldn't be running with a performance chip before the engine is fully up to temp.

I had read it a few times before, but never truly understood the mechanics behind the "why".

Halitosis

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thanks for snapping one more puzzle piece into place as to why we shouldn't be running with a performance chip before the engine is fully up to temp.

I had read it a few times before, but never truly understood the mechanics behind the "why".

Halitosis
Yep, same reason. Full compression is not acheived until operating temp of all the peices is attained. The chip increases timing which further increases cylinder pressure - CP is the combined effect of compression and the combustion process.

Timing in a diesel is related to when the injection event takes place - the more before TDC, the higher the CP will be. More fuel increases that even more...

·
Registered
151 Posts
60,000 miles on a homemade DSE blend vs. 60,000 miles using dino diesel @4.09 a gallon. Lets do the math. Lets say that your truck gets on average 14mpg. Lets say that your DSE fuel costs a dollar to make (not included is the time- which is free to some, but not to all)

4,286 gallons of fuel is what you've ran through your truck- if you average 14mpg

4,286 gallons mulitplied by 4.09/gallon= $17,529.74 dollars worth of fuel that you've paid.

If your DSE fuel only costs a dollar a gallon to make: 4,286 gallons times a 1.00/gallon=
4,286.00 dollars you have spent on fuel. 17,530 dollars, minus 4,286 dollars=13,244 dollars!

How many motors can you buy for 13,244 dollars? 2? 3? Do you see my point? A fresh long block motor in my 89 costs 3,000 dollars. I CAN BUY 12 ENGINES WITH THE SAVINGS OF FUEL!!!

My point in this excercise is to show that- regardless of SVO, blended or biodiesel...it is ALL OF US THAT WIN. If you lose a motor, pump, injectors, etc to your fuel- is it really that big of a deal? These parts go out running dino diesel as well, right? Quit blaming your fuel. If you're blending- the secret is to let it settle for at least 10 days. If it's cold, drop in a diesel block heater, and plug it in. The hotter the oil, the thinner the oil, and the faster the trash will settle to the bottom. Then just feed your pumps from the surface.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im not seeing how $13,000 in savings will buy you 12 motors at $3,000 each?

I'm just giving you a hard time!

Im blending WVO in my garage right now at 20/80 WVO/ULSD. Once the weather warms up and especially this summer I plan to go to 50/50. Im filtering the WVO several times through 400 count bed sheets, letting it settle for 48 hours, pouring off the top, filtering again, and pouring water and sludge off the bottom of the buckets into my "trash oil" bucket to re-filter. Its about 50-60 degrees F in my garage at night and my "clean, dry WVO" is still very liquid and similar to table syrup in color. Ive only ran about 5 gallons of WVO mixed with 20 gallons of ULSD through my 2005 F250 6.0 and it seems very quiet and smooth!! After a few tanks of this 20/80 im going to change my oil and fuel filters and keep a close eye on both....especially when stepping up towards 50/50.

My truck is still under warranty for another 30,000 miles and hopefully I wont have to try to take it in for service between now and then...I cant imagine the service dept being very nice about running WVO in the truck...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have run 20/80 and went to 25% RUG, 25% ULSD, and 50% WVO. The 20/80 is just too thick for the factory pump in most vehicles. Expecially the 6.0 Powerstroke. I belive I have posted my process on here. If not I will. My 50/50 blend is only 3 seconds slower than 100% ULSD in a full viscosity cup.

Can any one direct me the best way to find burn rate comparison for the two fuels? I am going to try simply burning a teaspoon and just timing each fuel. Any other ideas that are simple?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sure, VO burns GREAT - if you have an adequate conversion.:thumbsup: Yeah, its worth it. Shortcuts are costly...

I see your are running SVO with a DP tuner. What burn rate did you give Jody for the SVO? I have asked for a tuner for my specific fuel. He asked for a burn rate. I am here to find one for my blend. Have you any ideas?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
the 6.0 has a lame injection system, and does not like to start on cold number 2 diesel.

i am told there is a flash to get the 6.0 to start below temps of 50 degrees F. I'd ask Jody about that, and if he says differently, he is right and I am wrong.

Nothing but respect for Mr. Tipton.....

·
Registered
965 Posts

I see your are running SVO with a DP tuner. What burn rate did you give Jody for the SVO? I have asked for a tuner for my specific fuel. He asked for a burn rate. I am here to find one for my blend. Have you any ideas?

Kevin
Personally, I think anyone selling 'Veg-specific' tuning is either guessing or lying. I'm not trying to call anyone out - but NONE of the tuners who I've heard of know ANYTHING about VO... Jody once said he could see very little difference between fuels during live-tuning and did not recommend anything different for VO. It has been a couple years since I asked him though.

Its been a couple years since this thread started. I'd love to know how many more trucks bigblue has 'used up' with his experiment!! :jester: If I had even a little of the $$$ some of the people I've met spent fixin' their trucks after 'cold blending', 'dse', etc - I'd have a fleet of diesel trucks. Most of them reported 'no problems' right up until the demise of their engine. I have a friend who keeps an ad on CL for WVO - he's like a vulture going thru these poor guys' stuff, taking the 'good' oil and picking up totes, drums, pumps, etc CHEAP. Often, the spouse demanded 'Get RID of that sh!t before you f-up your truck AGAIN...'

I always say, choose wisely or PLEEEEASE post pics of the carnage!!! :thumbsup:

Btw, I ended up with (8) cracked pistons - (1) with a hole in it at 308,xxx miles. That was just shy of 120k on straight VO conversion. There was NO INDICATION the engine ever saw WVO, most diesel mechanics who saw it thought it was actually cleaner than average. Truck was chipped for 150k and towed HARD over 50% of its miles - all over the US. I never ran it over 1200* EGT, but I believe all those miles pulling 1000* EGT made for a fair lifespan. Ya gotta know I drove it HARD, since I wasn't paying for my fuel!! :jester: Planning to add Stage 3 water injection for even cleaner combustion chamber and to reduce the overall EGT's on my new engine.

FWIW, I'm no expert - but I do have about 200,000 miles on SVO between my (2) PSD's - and can honestly say I have never had any problems! I've met so many people with Vegistroke conversions I've literally lost count. NONE of them have had any problems 'getting their money back' after spending the coin on a V3 system. Vegistroke | BioFuels Technologies | WVO

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
"testing washing etc & waiting one to two weeks before you can use your 'biodiesel'"

The 3/27 conversion test takes maybe 30 seconds. I don't wash the fuel, it's sent through wood shavings and that only takes a couple hours. So what's your point?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where do you buy the veggistroke system now. Can you add a FASS to it? I am sure I read it somewhere on the net.

·
Registered
1 Posts
...Buddy, I run roughly the same DSE blend, using #2 as my thinner @ roughly 20%. I have had MINIMAL issues running this cold blend as Ive stated in other threads on this subject. I have been running a cold blend veggy mix since June of 2006! I began with an 04 F350 SRW 6.0l, ran well in excess of 60,00+ miles on WVO & now an 06 F350Dually. Ive put roughly 35,000+ miles on this 6.0l & only major issue was a lift pump, which was my fault, cause I got lazy & waited too long to change my filters! :nono:

Id have to say it is a coincedence. No way do I believe the WVO cold blend would cause those failures back to back. You are aware the 05 & 06's have high pressure pump o-ring failures from the factory? What were the symptoms that led to the failure of the injector pump?

As to others who responded to original Poster's thread; Not to sound like an azz to anyone, but I call bulls##t to anyone who knocks a cold WVO blend if they hadnt personally experienced mixing & running the same way for themselves! :nono: I know first hand for myself & I could give a rats azz for those have nothing but bad remarks to state for something they never experienced for themselves!

And another thing, hats off to those of you who are going thru all the hoopla of building a reactor, xtra tanks, purchasing EXPENSIVE methanol & lye as well as the handling of these chemicals & properly disposing of them after use; testing washing etc & waiting one to two weeks before you can use your 'biodiesel'. Thank you very much, Ill just keep on making my cold blend WVO as I need it & WHEN I need it. 30-40 minutes, I got my fuel & in my OEM tank & away I go....NOW! 👍

[/QUO

And another thing, hats off to those of you who are going thru all the hoopla of building a reactor, xtra tanks, purchasing EXPENSIVE methanol & lye as well as the handling of these chemicals & properly disposing of them after use; testing washing etc & waiting one to two weeks before you can use your 'biodiesel'. Thank you very much, Ill just keep on making my cold blend WVO as I need it & WHEN I need it. 30-40 minutes, I got my fuel & in my OEM tank & away I go....NOW! 👍

I have been trying for a while to figure out for a while a blend to run in my 2005 6.0 F350. Would you mind giving me a bit more direction for cold WVO. I have only found ways for methanol, lye, water wash. If you know a way that will simplify the process I would appreciate it. I Thought raw WVO was to acidic for anything but older Diesel engines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts