The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there that has any information or feedback on this alt fuel?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Snake oil.......

·
Registered
645 Posts
You can successfully run a WVO fuel blend without the DSE magic potion. If you search my screen name here, you'll read that I've been doing so for over 3 years

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Diesel Secret is a scam, nothing more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
works fine been using it for 2 years

·
Registered
98 Posts
I started blending in my truck this spring. Have about 2000 miles on it so far. Doing ok. My research has shown that the DS additive is not needed.
I use:
50% WVO
40% Diesel
10% gasoline
.02% trup
.02% acetone

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Putting mothballs (naptha) and xylene into veggie oil is not biodiesel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
STARTED OUT WITH DSE MADE MY OWN BLEND WINTER AND SUMMER.
NEVER PUT GASOLINE IN ANY AMOUNT IN A DIESEL.
FILTRATION IS THE KEY,5 micron IS NOT ENOUGH FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY
BROKE THREE INJECTORS FROM DIRTY WVO. IDO NOT BUY FILTERS ANY MORE,USE CENTRIFUGE- OIL IS CLEANED TO 1/10 micron
GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
STARTED OUT WITH DSE MADE MY OWN BLEND WINTER AND SUMMER.
NEVER PUT GASOLINE IN ANY AMOUNT IN A DIESEL.
FILTRATION IS THE KEY,5 micron IS NOT ENOUGH FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY
BROKE THREE INJECTORS FROM DIRTY WVO. IDO NOT BUY FILTERS ANY MORE,USE CENTRIFUGE- OIL IS CLEANED TO 1/10 micron
GOOD LUCK.

Older Mercedes state right in the manual to add up to 25% gasoline for better cold weather starts. I've been know to run a little gasoline from time to time. Also nothing wrong with filtering if you do it right. These days my blends are WVO in summer and WMO in winter with diesel as the main and often only thinner. I use naptha if I have it up to 10 percent. Is it biodiesel? No. But it's cheaper, easier, less time consuming, requires less equipment, and is safer (no methanol around). I have no interest in biodiesel anymore.

DSE is a scam.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You can successfully run a WVO fuel blend without the DSE magic potion. If you search my screen name here, you'll read that I've been doing so for over 3 years
Now over 4 years in the same two vehicles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried it in my '05. I was getting lazy about making Bio, It ran fine for about a week then my 6.0 begin to have problems. By the time I got it to my mechanic the little "diesel secret" cost my $4000+ in repairs. This stuff is JUNK. Run like hell.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I tried it in my '05. I was getting lazy about making Bio, It ran fine for about a week then my 6.0 begin to have problems. By the time I got it to my mechanic the little "diesel secret" cost my $4000+ in repairs. This stuff is JUNK. Run like hell.
What exactly needed to be repaired and was it without a doubt related to the fuel?

·
Registered
51 Posts
What exactly needed to be repaired and was it without a doubt related to the fuel?
Definitely a result of the diesel secret fuel. My mechanic said the injectors were clogged beyond repair with some sort of gunk. So 8 new injectors, new filters, a complete fuel line cleaning, he also removed the fuel tank and cleaned it. $4000+ in repairs, ouch! My theory is that because the diesel secret guys claim that you can just add their snake oil to WVO and put it directly into your fuel tank and go without the necessary heating of the WVO, the WVO once it cooled down simply clogged up the injector system. My advice is don't skip those necessary steps when using WVO. It has to be heating and before you shut down the fuel lines, filters, pump, and injectors must be purged with diesel.

·
Registered
645 Posts
My advice is don't skip those necessary steps when using WVO. It has to be heating and before you shut down the fuel lines, filters, pump, and injectors must be purged with diesel.
While I can't discount that advice, I can attest that I don't do either of those things. I also don't just add the DSE stuff to veg oil and go, or even use the DSE stuff at all.

For me, blending has been good, but it's no where near as quick as DSE would have you believe

·
Registered
15 Posts
DSE is a scam. You need to only mix the fuel to a max of 50% WVO. I use 25 gallons WVO, 12.5 gallons diesel, and 12.5 gallons RUG (regular unleaded gas) The older the RUG the better. If you want in colder climates ad some Howies for biodiesel. Also in colder climates once your fuel is mixed, extract a half-gallon into a nice clear juice bottle. Put it outside where it can get as cold as the air really is. Not next to the house. You can observe whether it clouds before you take your truck out of the garage. If it clouds you can use more diesel. This mix is good to ten degrees above zero. You should check it though, because your mix may be a little off.

You do not need other stuff like naphtha, turpentine, Power Service Fleet, acetone, and etc. You can add them if you want. Never add more than .01%, acetone. That is one tenth of 1%.

The main key is filtering before you mix anything. I have had no success with filtering using pumps. Pumps force the oil thru the filters. Starting with a 275-gallon cubie that is filled from the bottom only. Do this by attaching a 2” 90 degree elbow to the valve on the bottom. Then go from two to four and four to six inch pipe. You will need to support this as it takes much abuse when dumping the 35lb cubies. You can’t afford to have this full and break off losing all the oil you have collected, much less making a real mess for you to deal with. Six-inch pipe nicely accommodates a stainless steel tomato masher. Mine looks like a funnel and has tiny holes thru it with a sealed bottom. You can find something like your wife’s spaghetti drainer. This keeps out the fries, wings, and other debris. I add what I collect to the 275-gallon cube thru the six-inch standpipe attached to the bottom of the 275-gallon cube. Do not fill from the hole in the top. Then I pump it to the 55-gallon barrel eight feet overhead. When pumping up, to the heating barrel, the inlet hose from the settling cubie is only submersed into the top twenty- five gallons of WVO. As an extra precaution to not create turbulence that will suck up debris, I have a four way fitting with a hole drilled and tapped into the side. The settled WVO will suck from four sides instead of one that creates turbulence this may suck up debris. The oil is pumped from the cube to the heating barrel overhead. It is filled from the top so as not to stir up the bottom 25 gallons reserve that is left in the heated barrel every time you filter. Only the top half gravity feeds down as the valve is in the middle of the barrel. After heating the oil to about 200 degrees overnight with a 1500-watt hot water tank filter I brazed into the side about six inches up, it cools for about three days. Ideally to 50 degrees or so, but with this summer heat I have only been able to get 73 degrees cool. Here is the best part. When cools it takes about 5 hours to gravity feed 25 gallons into my mixing barrel. [Which incidentally is from DSE. It came to me with a smashed pump and cheap clamps and radiator hose that were not good with WVO. The really screwed me bad. They promised a new one, but never came thru.] As the filters clog they take longer to gravity feed. When it takes more than 36 hours to filter into the mixing tank I check the gauges on my filters. They usually run around 2 to 4 pounds. I want to get some ounce gauges. The 61-micron stainless steel pre-filter before the mixing tank, usually clogs first. I wrap a paper towel around it and hold it on with an o-ring at the top and bottom. It is much easier to remove and replace the towel than scrubbing the stainless steel mesh. My final filter is a 1-micron string wound water filter with felt washers at the top and bottom for a more secure end fit. Out comes clean SVO into the mixing tank. I cycle the filtered WVO with the diesel and gas mix right back to the mixing tank which is on the floor. This circulates and mixes without the filters because I have a bypass valve. Generally the toy DSE pump will overheat and shut down. Looking to the mixing tank the blended fuel will be bubbly when it is getting well mixed. I can check the viscosity against diesel. My viscosity is 10 seconds for straight diesel and 12 seconds for the fuel I mix, as some vegetable oil is thicker than others. The viscosity cup I use is just one from an auto parts store that sells auto paints. My DSE mixing barrel is modified with three filters to pump into the tanks of most any diesels with the bypass valve just for mixing. From there I pump it in to any of the 3 diesel vehicles or my tractor or excavator. Hope this helps any one.

You should keep fuel filters with you and equipment to change them in every vehicle. The WVO will loosen up any paraffin in the vehicle from the previous diesel. I changed filters in one vehicle at only 100 miles. You can rest assured if you cold gravity filter your WVO, after heating, it will not have anything harmful for your blending.

:read::read::beerchug::signed:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
6.0 does not like wvo or wmo at all. I would never recommend it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
6.0 does not like wvo or wmo at all. I would never recommend it.

I know quite a few guys with a 6.0 running over 100k miles on WVO. WMO in a 6.0 is another story.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts