The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few of us (all with stock injectors but all with different, aftermarket turbos and other various mods) that have been in a discussion for a while regarding chips, turbos and max boost. We are all seeing different boost numbers that are anywhere from 24 psi to 32 psi+.

Give us a little help:

What turbo do you have?
Who's chip?
What is your max boost on your most powerful tune?

I'm not trying to start some sort of competition. I'm just interested in real numbers so we can start tracking down issues if need be.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With a stock turbo and injectors - PHP tunes and boost fooler, I can hit 30 on the 140 setting. It will spike for only a second or two though. Under fairly hard acceleration, between gears, steady pressure it holds around 24.

This truck is pretty much maxed out for stock injectors and turbo. 4" turbo back - cold air. T500. Hutch/Fass/regulated return. AIH/EBPV delete. HPX/zoodad/ccv/bellowed/plenums. As mentioned above, PHP Pheonix and boost anialator.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With a 38R and DP 80 Econ i hit 29 accelerating on freeway on ramps

·
Registered
304 Posts
Stock turbo, Stock injectors, DP Tuner with 80 Eco and 60 tow, both max between 23 to 25 pounds. I've never had it go any higher than that.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Stock injectors, stock turbo, with TS (75 & 100hp) and PHP (Mainly run 140hp) tunes...32psi

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
so it looks like PHP puts out more boost than DP?

I have a non-ball bearing turnbonetics which is supposed to flow more than stock (equivilent to a 38R), stock injectors.
DP tuner, 80econo,120race 23-25lbs is most I ever got. Currently lost a few lbs and trying to figure it out.
I used to be able to set off the ses light on 120 race, but cant get enough boost anymore.

@ Rammertide; you make me miss my TS chip, but that was in a 99 F350 CC. Not sure if I would get better results than my DP. I had the original TS programming and never had high EGT's like I do now. I can't even run a qtr mile run without having to back off the throttle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
so it looks like PHP puts out more boost than DP?

I have a non-ball bearing turnbonetics which is supposed to flow more than stock (equivilent to a 38R), stock injectors.
DP tuner, 80econo,120race 23-25lbs is most I ever got. Currently lost a few lbs and trying to figure it out.
I used to be able to set off the ses light on 120 race, but cant get enough boost anymore.

@ Rammertide; you make me miss my TS chip, but that was in a 99 F350 CC. Not sure if I would get better results than my DP. I had the original TS programming and never had high EGT's like I do now. I can't even run a qtr mile run without having to back off the throttle.
Sounds like your ebpv valve could be causing problems [maybe a sooted up ebps tube or bad sensor] or a boost leak.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Sounds like your ebpv valve could be causing problems [maybe a sooted up ebps tube or bad sensor] or a boost leak.
I do not want to clutter this thread with off topic info, but I am working to find the issue.
I replaced the EBP sensor a couple years ago, checked it a couple weeks ago. afaik it works and clean. tube is clean and excellent shape. tested for boost leaks and only found leaks on my plenums and fixed. no soot/leaks on exhaust that I can find. Currently have my ebpv unplugged, so it should be always opened. I can verify that it is in the open position.

I have posted in a couple spots of what I have done and working to figure it out. No luck so far.

Thanks for the recommendations though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
stock turbo and injectors, 110hp bully dog chip..29psi on a good day.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
with my mods. now only 22-26psi(dp-tuner 80 econ) With stock turbo (80 econ) 26-28psi wheel did have a little damage I noticed when the turbo was out. Now I have to watch egts going on to highway. Pedal to the floor egts get hot very quickly. I think I have a boost leak. Matt

·
Registered
127 Posts
DP 80 econ or 120 race, 24 psi max. I am also one of those trying to find out where the boost is. I have a stock turbo with a wicked wheel, 4 inch MBRP exhaust, stock injectors, no leaks anywhere and lots of fuel pressure and ICP. My egts do not ever go over 1250, no matter how long I hold the pedal to the floor. When I had my 200 powerstroke with a Western Diesel programmer, I easily made 20-30 psi consistently with a stock turbo and injectors. My current truck has a lot more work done to it, and is not nearly as powerful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stock turbo, stock injectors. I run PHP tunes, and my max boost in 80 DD, 100 Performance, and 120 Race is 24 psi.

·
Registered
39 Posts
25-35psi, whenever you want to push the pedal down.
Turbonetics full ball-bearing turbo, ebpv delete.
AIH delete, boost regulator/bypass valve.
Custom Spearco intercooler.
EGT's 1200-1300 max (loaded or towing).
Single shot injectors (173/175)-Swamps.
Custom tunes by Jonathon (Swamps).
Tymar style intake, 4" turbo-back with hi-flow turbo outlet.

STEVE.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Stock turbo with wicked wheel and Big Head, stock injectors, on DP 80E 30psi and will hit 32psi on 120R. Mostly run in 60E and can hold 30psi with a load.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, with the mods listed in my sig, I'm seeing 26-27 psi in the 140 DP Tune at sea level and at over 6500 feet (both tested this weekend). It does seem that, with a few responses, the DP tunes produce a little less boost than some others. I do like the power the truck has.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Stock turbo with wicked wheel and Big Head, stock injectors, on DP 80E 30psi and will hit 32psi on 120R. Mostly run in 60E and can hold 30psi with a load.
Highest boost numbers I've seen with a wicked wheel. Thats what I would hit with the stock wheel.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Stock injectors, ported turbo housing, 6637 air filter, wastegate disconnected, boost sensor regulator, DPS tunes - buried my 30 psi gauge and let off ASAP when I saw that. Didn't want to blow my turbo. This was with an empty truck.

EDIT for elevation: 600-1600ft ASL

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Very nice :yesnod:
Thanks everyone, with the mods listed in my sig, I'm seeing 26-27 psi in the 140 DP Tune at sea level and at over 6500 feet (both tested this weekend). It does seem that, with a few responses, the DP tunes produce a little less boost than some others. I do like the power the truck has.
I was wondering when the OP was going to post results. Your #'s seem a little low having a 38R
Stock injectors, ported turbo housing, 6637 air filter, wastegate disconnected, boost sensor regulator, DPS tunes - buried my 30 psi gauge and let off ASAP when I saw that. Didn't want to blow my turbo. This was with an empty truck.
Nice as well; makes you wish your guage went higher:lol:

Observation of DP Tuner still the same. Not sure why we typically show less boost than the TS style chips.
I talked to Will ( I think thats who it was) today from DP Tuner; I wanted to see if they limit boost in any way because it kind of seems that I might have lost boost when I got the newer upgraded tunes.
He said they do not limit boost in any way, but I did not get to into it. I gave him a brief explanation of my boost loss since I first got my chip. Sounds like everyone is saying up-pipes or manifolds, and boots. Nothing else really would be the result of boost loss.

It seems that some posted might have some leaks as myself and supa duty. The weird thing in my situation is that I do not feel much of a performance loss if any at all. Might be different with actual testing.

I am very tempted to try another ts style chip for comparison, but I need to get my new boots installed if they ever show up and my manifolds resurfaced.

I will hopefully have new/better results some time this weekend. I wish more people would have responded to this thread

·
Registered
937 Posts
Seems like elevation above sea level would be good info to include because I'm thinking that it makes a difference. You want to compare apple to apples, you know.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
ColoradoEX said he got the same at sea level and 6500+. I think the same thing.

I am at 6500ft give or take a few ft; most boost seen on my setup has been 23-25. I might have had some leak issues since I bought the truck though, but its still pretty strong for what I have. At least I think its strong, never driven anything else to compare to.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts