The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I was wondering when the OP was going to post results. Your #'s seem a little low having a 38R
It takes more exhaust (more than produced by stock injectors) to drive that turbo more to its limit, seems normal to me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If I have leak on my up pipes, then somehow there has been zero residual diesel soot left behind. And as I told Jody, I pressure tested my system at 15-20 psi, soaked all the boots and even a good part of the inter cooler with a water detergent mix and found no leaks. The truck is strong off the line, but has minimal top end. When I had my last SD with a Western diesel chip and stock turbo, and injectors with a 4 inch exhaust, I consistently made 28-30 psi at this altitude. In fact, the boost numbers were the same when I went to sea level, it just got there a lot quicker. I had my tunes altered by Jody a month after I got my F8 chip. I think that was a mistake and now, in spite of repeated requests to go back to his original tunes, I am stuck. It's all about my truck, or my turbo, or I have leaks. I am a business owner and I have to say that as such, I am very let down my the customer service I have gotten from DP Tuner. I know others have had outstanding service, I have not had the same experience. When I can get in the truck in my shop, I will re-test, but I have not found a boost leak in the previous two attempts. EBPV is out too, pipe is clean and sensor is clean.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Gt42r, DP Tuned, 250/200 Industrial Injection injectors...Pegs a 60lb. boost gauge

I'm headed in this direction soon?? How is the drivability of the truck on the street?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I have leak on my up pipes, then somehow there has been zero residual diesel soot left behind. And as I told Jody, I pressure tested my system at 15-20 psi, soaked all the boots and even a good part of the inter cooler with a water detergent mix and found no leaks. The truck is strong off the line, but has minimal top end. When I had my last SD with a Western diesel chip and stock turbo, and injectors with a 4 inch exhaust, I consistently made 28-30 psi at this altitude. In fact, the boost numbers were the same when I went to sea level, it just got there a lot quicker. I had my tunes altered by Jody a month after I got my F8 chip. I think that was a mistake and now, in spite of repeated requests to go back to his original tunes, I am stuck. It's all about my truck, or my turbo, or I have leaks. I am a business owner and I have to say that as such, I am very let down my the customer service I have gotten from DP Tuner. I know others have had outstanding service, I have not had the same experience. When I can get in the truck in my shop, I will re-test, but I have not found a boost leak in the previous two attempts. EBPV is out too, pipe is clean and sensor is clean.

Frustrating situation. I'm wondering if it could be a fuel pressure issue? Or possibly a defuel from the chip/pcm?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Gt42r, DP Tuned, 250/200 Industrial Injection injectors...Pegs a 60lb. boost gauge
The question is: whats your fuel mileage like with that setup. Thats crazy boost there.

Frustrating situation. I'm wondering if it could be a fuel pressure issue? Or possibly a defuel from the chip/pcm?
He has already fixed his fuel pressure and is where it should be.
As far as defuel, I do not believe that would happen without codes or ses light. I know the DP chips do not defuel and there is no limit on boost. I called and asked a couple days ago. They still think some kind of leak somewhere. I say this because I am in a similar situation as SD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate to even mention this and this is really a crap deal. I'm wondering if you may need to pull your up pipes. It sure sounds like you have systematically eliminated every issue. I just can't think of anything else to check and I realize a lack of soot should rule out a leak. But, I'm thinking the only way to absolutely rule them out is to pull them.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The question is: whats your fuel mileage like with that setup. Thats crazy boost there.

He has already fixed his fuel pressure and is where it should be.
As far as defuel, I do not believe that would happen without codes or ses light. I know the DP chips do not defuel and there is no limit on boost. I called and asked a couple days ago. They still think some kind of leak somewhere. I say this because I am in a similar situation as SD.

22 highway...17 around town

·
Registered
127 Posts
70psi on the gauge at the fuel bowl.
I even pulled my waste gate actuator, acting on Jody's advice, and shortened the arm as much as possible while still able to re-install it while on the truck. No difference. I'm ready to give up at this point. :ford:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stock Turbo with OEM wheel, Wastegate unplugged and red line plugged, I hit 32psi on my 120hp "Race" tune from PHP.

With my setup in my sig, I can hit 26-27 pretty quick in any setting but stock, but the TM dumps it at 27.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Are you guys running stock turbos getting any surge? I can see no surge with WW, but some are fully stock with tunes. Even with me only hitting 22lbs, I can get the stock turbo to surge.

@ Stage 3: I can assure you that my bellowed up-pipes (roughly 2 yrs old IIRC) are not leaking. I even rechecked today to make sure the bolts are tight. I cannot speak for SD though. I have no soot anywhere and I definitely do not have soot where they connect to the manifolds. I pulled my manifolds to have them resurfaced and saw no soot leaking at the connection. Maybe when I do some other work, I will go ahead and pull them apart at the "y", but I am positive there are not leaking.

I did a test on my manifolds similar to boost leak test and found they still leak even after resurfacing:icon_mad:. Going to repull them and add gaskets; if this doesn't fix them, then I will buy new manifolds. I still haven't seen my boots from RR, but hopefully those will help too; even though I cannot detect any leaks.

Sorry to get off topic, this info should be in SD's or my thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With my Tony tune on 140, ez on all the way, and the Edge all the way I hit 32 at the most. Thats with stock injectors.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The wastegate actuator spring in stock form is VERY weak. My truck would barely make 20psi peak in stock form and hold 16-17psi steady. I could hear it start to blow open about 10-11psi. Now after shortening the arm creating more pre-load on the spring, I can make about 28psi and hold 25psi steady running the DP 80hp Econ tune. The WG now will start to blow open about 20 psi. Stock everything except banks intake, Dieselsite Boots and Magnaflow 4" turbo back. I'm thinking of getting a Big Head just for an even stronger spring pre-load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
With 140 dp tune ww bighead wastegate 6637 4" turbo back and stage 1 injectors I can hit 38psi wot and hold it in stock tune i hit 21 and thats wot

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would get 25 psi with the mods in my sig when on the 80E setting. That being said, i'm only making 20 now since the turbo shaft has play in it. I'll let you guys know what i get one i get my new turbo and install it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would get 25 psi with the mods in my sig when on the 80E setting. That being said, i'm only making 20 now since the turbo shaft has play in it. I'll let you guys know what i get one i get my new turbo and install it.
This is the same as me, but I do not think I have excessive play in the impeller shaft (although I have never checked a new turbo either).

Will be interesting to see what you results are. Did you ever decide on a turbo?

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is the same as me, but I do not think I have excessive play in the impeller shaft (although I have never checked a new turbo either).

Will be interesting to see what you results are. Did you ever decide on a turbo?
I decided to go with a setup from Irate Diesel. Its a modified S300 that is done by Pius at Bell turbo. It was down to either the GQSSB of this turbo, and after doing quite a bit of research i decided to pull the trigger on this one. I'll let you guys know how things go once i get it and get it installed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Towing 6000lbs up the grade on hwy 247 into Barstow, I can hit 26lbs with a stock 220,000 mile engine, 4" exhaust, DP 80hp flash, and AIS intake.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts