The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shifting my truck it tends to clunk and jerk when I let off or push in the clutch. Does it really bad when I am in a rough section of road. Any ideers?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
You have two-and-a-half choices:

1) Work the clutch pedal much more slowly and smoothly than you have been.

2) Work at your timing such that the driveline is unloaded when you jab the clutch.

The timing part can be a real bear with these ZF 6 speeds until your realize that the rpm drop between 2 and 3 is much larger than for any other shift. So you give a longer pause, or, ideally, you rev it up a little further than your normal shiftpoint in 2nd.

2.5) Check your engine mounts, tranny mounts, and the hardware that fastens the tranny crossmember to the frame. If any of them are loose, apply loc-tite and tighten them down.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Does it really bad when I am in a rough section of road.

[/ QUOTE ]

mine does that too. shifts fine unless i'm goin over bumps... then a clunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mine will do it a little, I think it is loading the clutch when it hits the bump, it seems worse if I'm in mid shift but nothing if the pedal is all the way to the floor. I can't always avoid it but I've learned to avoid shifting on the bumps on my commute.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I see the Model Year of the trucks truck in this thread... Have any of you re-greased the Tail Shaft Splines ?

I did mine at about 75K... Hardly ANY "Clunk" since then. 103K now.

Ford has a Marine grade grease (Blue in Color), clean off the old, re-grease withe Blue stuff. Works GREAT.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

JOE

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
My clunk seems to be inside the tranny. When I'm on a washboarded out road for instance, and go to shift, the gears seem to clunk into place. They dont just mesh in. Like something is shaking them out of sync.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Some Red Line D-4 synthetic ATF will fix that "Notchy" shifting for ya.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

JOE

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
i have mobil 1 in it and it shifts smooth/ only problem on bumpy roads. not even really a problem... just that he brought it up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will have to try greasing the splines have to pull my tranny for a new clutch this summer so will do it then. Thanks just wanted to make sure it wasn't some horrid thing.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
check that the driveline bolts are all tight.

it is VERY expensive if the driveline drops out.
btdt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When shifting my truck it tends to clunk and jerk when I let off or push in the clutch. Does it really bad when I am in a rough section of road. Any ideers?
I'm having the same issue with my truck with zf6 just bumping throttle going down the road it clunks and when bumping clutch too it's the worse at low speeds ruled out the rear end and driveshaft by disconnecting the rear shaft from transfer case and bumping clutch

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I have had that happen if my RPMs are too low for the selected gear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my truck started to make a clunk or a squeek when I was shifting so I drove it till it developed, the rivits in the cluctch came apart and left me on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
i guess the question someone could ask is how many km’s from the time it first clunked to the time it left you on the side of the road? ;-)

·
Super Moderator
25,204 Posts
my truck started to make a clunk or a squeek when I was shifting so I drove it till it developed, the rivits in the cluctch came apart and left me on the side of the road.
I had the center of a clutch disk come apart on me once as well. I don't recall any particular clunking before it let go, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts