The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I am still having hard time to remove the oil plug. Wish that I have 6 point 22mm socket that I could use to take it off. One question that had raised to my mind. Wonder if the temperature makes the difference in process of unscrewing the oil plug? Hope that one can tell on this.

·
Registered
372 Posts
just did mine last month, I think I used a craftsman 7/8 6 pt, it worked with a breaker bar, and cheater. BTW the tranny was warm.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
You got lucky with the 7/8! I tryed that recently (didnt have 22mm) and the plug started to strip. I would strongly recommend buying a 6 pt. 22mm socket. Also I used "liquid wrench" penetrating oil to loosen that plug up, it was seriously in there...Good Luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Be careful with that plug!!! I did the ol 7/8 trick on mine and ended up with a mess. Over time electrolysis can occur between the steel and aluminum. When mine broke loose, the threads came out with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The lesson here is to get the 6pt socket and do it right. Also, use some never-cease on the bolt when you re-install it. Best of luck.
-Matt

·
Registered
644 Posts
that thing is always a pain. Same with the fill plug. It is definitely the aluminum and steel plus hot and cold temp changes. Get a socket that fits nice and snug (definitely 6 pt.) and get in a good position, put some gloves on so you don't skin your knuckles (I practically do everytime) and crank on it. Once you break it free, you can do the rest with your fingers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Alright, y'all got me confused and I have the same darned problem just now. But my man'l trans fill & drain plugs both take a 3/8" breaker bar or ratchet head. In other words, the plugs don't have bolt heads but are recessed to take the end of the breaker bar or ratchet. I finally used a cheater to break the drain plug free, and thank GOD did not drain the tranny fluid b/c this truck is my daily driver, but the fill plug is IN THERE TO STAY. Taking it to my friends Mercedes shop to get it up on a lift and see if we can get a little more leverage on it standing up, etc. But the that recessed 3/8" area is getting torn up. New plug coming for sure once we get this one out. I'm keeping a positive thought, but I'm worried for sure. Think I'll wait a couple days and hit it with some penetrating oil every day. Oh, and I did use anti-sieze on it when I reinstalled it last time. My buddy accused me of using loc-tite instead!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Just take the shift lever off. It's easier than getting at that side fill plug. Be careful and lift the lever straight up so you don't drop the plastic bushings inside.

Birken

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
definetely do it through the shifter. It is easier once you have the shifter out. For some reason some of the transmissions have bolt head plugs and some have that 3/8 drive plug. Anyways, its just 4 screws to get under the rubber boot of the shifter, after that you will see 4 allen head bolt/screws holding the shifter into the transmission (make sure you use metric allen wrench to take them out, i learned that the hards way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ) I THINK its 5mm but check it for yourself. Once that is off you can just pull the shifter out, put a funnel in and away you go. Make sure shifter is in neutral when you remove it so its easier to get back in. Also when you get the shifter out, you will see two plastic pieces on the front and back of the collar that the shifter pivots in, on the tops of those plastic pieces there are small slits that go on TOP of the pieces, make sure those are still UP when you put the shifter back into the tranny (sorry for my bad vocabulary) I probly make it sound a little unclear, but you'll know exactly what im talking about when you get in there. Trust me, much easier and less messy if done this way instead of pumping through the fill plug.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts