The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been diligently reading all of the posts I can regarding the E4OD -> ZF5 swap. Thank you for all of the great information. I have never posted here before and just now created an account to do so. I have a 1990 F250 4x4 AT 7.3 IDI that had a burnt up E4OD. I am swapping to a ZF5 that I purchased remanufactured. I bought a 1991 F250 4x4 MT 351 for $400 as a parts truck. I used the MT out of this truck for the core deposit. I have all the swap parts (pedal assembly, crossmember, drive shafts) and new parts (flywheel, clutch kit, etc.). From reading all the posts, the trickiest pet seems to be the wiring. Should I swap the PCM from the gas (MT) truck? Will a gas PCM work in an IDI? Or should I keep my current PCM and jump the wires like previously read? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
The ZF5 does not require a PCM

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
There is no harness on the ZF5 except for the one on the transfer case to light up the 4x4 Hi and Lo light.

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
As long as the engine is running and the clutch assembly is assembled correctly. It should.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. That would be fantastic. My approach has been to just replace the trans and see what happens. I’ve read a lot about the wiring though, so I’m nervous. Not too worried about reverse lights or 4x4 indicator lights. I will need the switch for the clutch pedal deadman, right?

·
Super Moderator
24,883 Posts
The ZF6 has a reverse switch on it. I'm assuming that the ZF5 would need one hooked up too. Not sure where the E4OD gets it's reverse signal from.

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
The E4OD has a switch on the driver's side of the trans called the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor,) also known as the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.) It also provides the reverse lights connection. That is the function of the reverse switch on the ZF5.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
As far as the clutch safety switch, that's up to you. I disconnected mine the first month after I bought my truck new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I will get it installed and see how it goes. I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have all the parts for my swap. The master cylinder has an electrical connection on the push-rod. Is there something that has to be plugged into this for the truck to start with a manual transmission? Will the truck start without changing any of the wiring from the previous E40D that was in place? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
That is the neutral safety switch. It (if hooked up) won't let you start the truck without the clutch pedal depressed. If you want to hook it up, find the wires from the neutral safety on the auto trans. and use them accordingly. there is also a side to that switch that cancels the cruise control when you depress the clutch. Neutral safety is NO, and the cruise control is NC. They can be hooked up independently of each other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swap update, new questions

So I got everything swapped and most everything has fit pretty well. A few issues:

The truck did not start. I gapped the starter solenoid and it did fire up and run.
Should I look to change the auto harness to the 5-speed harness?
Should I just install a floor starter switch? Any issues with this? Seems more fun to me anyhow...

The 4x4 transfer case shifter linkage is about 3 inches too long.
Any reason I can't just drill another hole in the linkage arm and still use?

The tachometer seems to be dead now. As soon as I fired the truck up after the swap, it worked a bit, but was really jumpy. Then it just died and read constant 0.
Any thoughts on why the swap would kill the tach?
Or could this be a really well timed coincidence and the sensor just happened to go out?

Much thanks for all of the input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts