The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current symptom is that when i am in 4th gear, direct drive, when i let out on the throttle without pressing clutch the shifter jumps to neutral position. IF i hold the shifter in 4th before i let out on throttle it will stay in 4th gear.

Background info.
Clutch failed to disengage while 20miles from home. Luckily i was backing into my parents driveway when it happened. I pressed down pretty hard on the clutch pedal and fluid poured out into floorboard. So i went and got a new master and slave cylendar and put in truck. That did not fix clutch. The Clutch fork had broke. So I bought parts and took truck to mechanic that was only 2miles down the road from truck. Had him pull the tranny and replace fork, pivot, and throwout bearing, and drain fluid and replace with mobile 1 full synthetic ATF.
In the process he broke the tranny cooler lines which he fixed with rubber hose and worm clamps, put the adapter plate in wrong and burned up my starter, left 3 bolts out of my cross member, and didn't screw down my shifter boot. I made him replace starter, remove tranny and fix adapter plate, and fix tranny cooler lines. When i drove the truck home every time I was in 4th gear and let off throttle the tranny came out of gear and shifter popped into neutral unless I held it in place.

Could any of the work done on it caused this or is it something internal to the tranny?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
1) sounds like you need a new mechanic

2) if this 4th gear problem started after the work was done I would take a look at everything that was put back together by the hack mechanic....especially the shifter going into the tower on the top of the transmission.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never take anything to a mechanic for these reasons. But I had no choice this time. I couldn't bull that huge zf6 by myself in my parents driveway with limited tools an d no air tools jacks or tranny lift.
If there any way u can screw up putting the shift in? I have had it out and in before when I put the tranny in originally. But when I put it back together I only remember one way it can go in. There's no adjustment or anything is there?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I wonder if it messed anything up not using the spacer.

My friend cracked the whole bell housing when he did a zf6 swap because he didn't use the spacer.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If there any way u can screw up putting the shift in? I have had it out and in before when I put the tranny in originally. But when I put it back together I only remember one way it can go in. There's no adjustment or anything is there?
Correct but there are shifter bushings that go into the tower. If they aren't there I don't know if that would effect the 4th gear pop.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the shifter out and the bolts in the shifter that they used were too long and werent tight against the tower. And there was no gasket used. I added a lock washer and washer to the bolts and RTV sealant to the top of the tower.
THe plastic bushings have worn a little over 1/16" into the brass. The back side of the bushings have a little squares and triangles cut out of them. And that pattern is now etched into the brass.
I put everything back together and it still pops out of 4th gear.
Does anyone have any more suggestions before i pull the transmission and send it back to the shop i bought it at. That is going to be allot of work and cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts