The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched zoodad under 6.0 upgrades and aftermarkets read all about it today and have arrived at the following conclusions.

Which, btw, lead me to the driveway to pull the grill off and bore (2) - 3.25" holes in front of my intake as per Zoodad's mod late this blustery dreary cold afternoon.

i've read hundreds of posts today both pro and con and respect both sides.

but the biggest contributing factor that lead me to open up the front of the truck was what my marine diesel mechanic proselytizes; diesel engines need to breath

yeah, when they're driving along 50 - 60 mph + there's no doubt there's plenty of airflow up there in the engine compartment, no question about it, not to mention the turbo's job working properly of course.

Yet when my truck is stopped at a red light or in traffic for extended periods, etc., I wouldn't want, what one other poster said back in 2007 "a hand in front of my face keeping me from breathing"

So with that, I don't expect faster spool up, better fuel mileage, lower EGT's etc and won't be disappointed if i achieve them or not .

I'll just change my Motorcraft airfilter more often.

And BTW, I didn't see any bug carcasses smashed up in the area where I bored the 2 holes.

Knowing a bit about engines if rain is sucked in to the intake at that velocity it would be converted to vapor which would be passed through.

Nothing like driving your truck down the launching ramp into full submersion while she's running.

As I said, not to beat a dead horse but IMHO, you cant go wrong. That is, if you are diligent with your maintenance.

And if you own a diesel, that goes with out saying.

Just sayin.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i have done this to both 6.0s i have had. i cut as much out as i could both times. it is behind the grille and out of sight. i didnt make it pretty but it dosent look bad either. i fail to see the point in removing the material only to add back in a screen and a flap door etc... in the few years ive had trucks with this mod i have no issues with bugsm rain, snow, etc. cant validate any gains. i did loose somewhere between 1/4-1/2# of weight with this mod. probably gained me .000005 mpg

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well when i finally got er up on the highway (37 miles from here) where i could run er at 70+ for quite a few miles she seems to be breathing pretty good. don't have any gagues to monitor egt yet so can't tell ya if theres any difference.

I have been running Stanadyne and 1oz/gallon 2stroke twc3 oil for the 2nd tank now and she sounds very happy running and expecially at idle.

Gotta thank all the guys who've contributed here so far especially 2 Stroker

He's a good egg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts