·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
You mean before?, or just now?...

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Here ... Is some reading for you...

There are instructions on how to use a guage to test the HP oil system...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When nothing unplugged:
Cranks at about 350rpm, but "jumps" like it wants to start, but cannot.

With ICP SENSOR (left head, round sensor near front) unplugged:
No change. 350/jumps

With IPR Actuator unplugged:
Cranks at 350-400 rpm, but no jumping. Just like cranking a motor with no fuel.

I think I am calling AE to order their ford bundle. $395 with shipping.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
think I am calling AE to order their ford bundle. $395 with shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll help....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just ordered it from ITP. They had them on the shelf, and cheaper than direct from AE, who was out of them.

$360 with 2nd day air.

I just hope it's a cheap sensor issue or the like. I'm just hoping its not a HPOP or some other stupidly expensive part.. I swear, the truck "knows" I just paid off one of the many bills I got stuck with in my divorce. I don't want a $500+ a month payment, but if I have my $240 a month payment, and have to sink $3-400 a month into this thing, that extra payment doesn't look so bad.

I've been trying to avoid that, because I may be going to Japan in a year and a half, and don't want to have a new truck rotting in long term storage for 3-4 years.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Let us know when you get it setup...

·
Registered
860 Posts
My vote is there is a short in the wiring harness under the drivers side or passengers side valve cover. My truck did the same thing at about the same mileage....

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
My truck did the same thing at about the same mileage....

[/ QUOTE ]

Was yours a no start?...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Are you talking the harness on the other side of the valve cover plug that branches out to the injectors/plugs?

Where did it short? Just a thing I can check while I am waiting for the AE kit to come.

Also going to do the rail oil pressure checks if I can get the proper fitting.

What is the "common name" of the type of fitting that goes into the oil ports in the head? And would NAPA have that type of fitting?

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
let me know what the problem is Update - change the pump yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No. Fuel pump is putting out 50psi, so that's apparently not it.

Was going to check the HPOP output pressure today, but nobody here that is open on the weekend has the #5 ORB adapters to hook a pressure gauge up, nor to buy a pressure gauge.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here are the pics of the fuel pressure tester I made.

The tester

Installed

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Funny, the box next to the quick reply says "UBB CODE ENABLED"..

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Do you're dash light function normally? I had a short in the main engine wiring harness that would cause my 02 to stall or not start. If I turned the key on the WTS light would come on but not go off. When the truck was running the WTS & water in fuel light would either flash when the truck hesitated (short to ground caused the PCM to reset) or died. This condition did not throw any codes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just found something today.

The dealer, when they had the truck in for repairs after an accident, put 2 new batteries in it. (and charged me for it)

Pulling the intake open to clean it, what do I see?

Original battery. With a buckled case. The top was cleaned up real nice, but still had 3/99 dates on the side.

Gives good voltage, but fails a load test.

Picking up new batteries as soon as I can get a ride to Walmart.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sounds similar to what I had in the spring. Ended up being the IDM I believe it was. Anyways it powers the injectors. I guess the left four injectors were Not working. Originally thought it was CPS so they threw that on there too. Hopefully it's just your batteries though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just for a sticker shock thing,

How much is an IDM or HPOP?

I should be able to rule out the HPOP when I put new batteries in, and get my pressure adapter hooked up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok, latest rounds of tests:

2 new 850 CCA batteries, terminals cleaned.
HP Oil Rail pressure gauge rigged into left bank.
Fuel Pressure rigged into fuel bowl.

Key ON- Fuel Press to 60 PSI for 20 seconds. Relay clicks, then pressure slowly drops. I can hear fuel flowing in the return line (3 O clock when looking at it from front).

All connections normal:
Cranks at 400 rpm, cackles and bucks, starts for 2-3 seconds then shuts down. Only starts on 1st cold attempt. Subsequent starts only cackle and bucks.
Oil pressure at 1500+ PSI within 2-3 seconds, then jumps from 1500-3000 as the truck tries to start. No noted smoke out pipe.

ICP Sensor disconnected:
Same as normal

IPR solenoid disconnected:
Truck cranks at 350 rpm. No bucking, cackling. No signs of start.
HP Oil pressure steady at 200psi after 2-3 seconds.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts